Losing My Hair, Wig Shopping, and Pulmonary Function Test

These past couple days have been kind of rough. Since I got chemo on Friday, I have been having really bad throat pain, jaw pain and just overall mouth pain. The best way I can describe it is it feels like someone has punched me on both sides of my jaw while having the worst strep throat of my life. Other than that though, my nausea has been pretty under control and I've just had slight headaches. I haven't had much of an appetite, so I've been eating a lot of bland food like waffles and cereal. I've been having pretty bad chest and back pain the past couple of days, but the nurse said it's most likely just from my tumor taking up a third of my chest and pressing against my lungs. BUT THIS CHEMO IS KICKING THE TUMOR'S BUTT. So that's good!

Yesterday, I had to go take a pulmonary function test to see how well my lungs are working. One of the types of chemo I am getting can affect your white blood count and your lung health, which puts you at risk for lung infection. That on top of the massive tumor on my lungs could cause some complications during my treatment, so my doctor just wants to take extra precautions. My lung health was overall pretty good, which is impressive with only 2/3 lung capacity! Look at this cool contraption I sat in while they tested me:



I also started losing my hair yesterday. I knew this was probably coming with how aggressively they are attacking this tumor, but nothing really prepares you for having handfuls of hair come out when you're in the shower. It's falling out even more today, I keep finding it on my shirt or on my pants. I just have to remember, the chemo is killing my hair, which means it is also killing the cancer cells. I'm not shaving my head though until the hair loss becomes very noticeable.

To be prepared for when I do shave my head, we have started shopping for wigs. After we realized I was losing my hair yesterday, we drove to Virginia Beach to visit the Red Cross. Pantene donates wigs made of real hair to cancer patients going through chemo. This means that I was able to get a wig that would normally cost thousands of dollars for free! I have so much appreciation for people who donate their hair to make these wigs. This is such a selfless act by both the hair donors and Pantene to make this whole process a little bit easier on cancer patients. If you or a family member are currently going through chemo, be sure to call 1-800-227-2345 to set up an appointment to pick out a wig! This is the short brown wig I received from Pantene:


I have also picked out a longer wig that I can curl, braid, and fix in just about any way I want. This wig is so comfortable and I feel great in it! The lady who we bought it from is adding highlights throughout it to lighten it up and she will also trim the bangs around my face. I am so excited to see it in a couple days when it is finished!

Thank you again for all of your thoughts and prayers during this time. My family and I can definitely feel all of them, and we are so grateful to everyone who has reached out to us. I have been holding my favorite Bible verse near to my heart during this trial. Matthew 6:34 says, "Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it's own." I know God has all of this under control. He will use this whole situation for his good.

Love you all!

Comments

  1. So proud of you for your faithfulness and perseverance. God is with you all the way. We love you. See you soon. You look adorable in your new hair. Precious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Well.... I Have Cancer - Beginning of Symptoms to Now (Long post alert)

Learning Makeup, Head Shaving Party, and More!

My Tumor Shrunk!!